[Skip to content]

Help the Hospices
Search our Site
In this section
Find a hospice International
Did you know... Half of all countries do not have access to hospice and palliative care
.

Board of Trustees

Help the Hospices work is governed by our Board of Trustees.

They make sure that we fulfil our objectives and adhere to the organisation’s philosophy and values. They do this by making sure that Help the Hospices operates in a manner that:

 

  • lets us fulfil the objectives set out in our constitution

  • uses assets and resources for charitable purposes

  • gives due attention to charitable and company law

  • adheres to the organisation’s philosophy and values

  • upholds the reputation of the organisation.

 

75 percent of our trustees of Help the Hospices have been elected from within and by member hospices, with the remaining 25 percent being co-opted.

 

Who they are

Founded by

Anne Duchess of Norfolk CBE founded Help the Hospices in 1984.

 

Vice presidents

Our vice presidents are:

  • Michael Bayley
  • Martyn Lewis
  • Mick Thorpe
  • Hilary McNair
  • Hugh Scurfield
  • Professor David Clark.

 

Trustees

The chair of our Board of Trustees is The Rt. Hon. Lord Howard of Lympne, CH, QC, and the deputy chair is Peter Holliday, chief executive, St Giles Hospice.


 The rest of our trustees are:

Name
Description
Bay Green Co-opted
Paul Dyer Co-opted
Dr Ros Taylor Hospice director, Hospice of St Francis Berkhamsted
Stephen Greenhalgh Chief executive, St Cahterine's Hospice, Preston
Christine Miles Trustee, St Anns Hospice Manchester
Andrew Ryde Chief executive, Oakhaven Hospice Lymington
Sue Newman Chair of trustees, Rowcroft - The Torbay and South Devon Hospice
Patrick Beasley

Chairman, Hospiscare Exeter and Butterfly Children's Hospices

 Lee Barker Chief executive,  St Catherine's Hospice  Scarborough

Each trustee sits on at least one board committee, and some also sit on organisational reference groups.

 

Constitution

You can find out more about the governance of Help the Hospices in our Articles and Memorandum of Association.

Lord Howard of Lympne, CH QC, Chair of Help the Hospices
The Rt. Hon. Lord Howard of Lympne, CH, QC, Chair of Help the Hospices